The Building Department of Crest Hill reviews building plans, issues permits and contractor registrations, and performs inspections to ensure that construction conforms to applicable codes. We also handle property code violations, rental inspections and new business inspections.
Inspections are available Monday through Friday. Plumbing inspections will be done between 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm on the scheduled date. We cannot schedule a specific time for plumbing inspections. For other inspections, we will schedule a time if requested, but we cannot guarantee the inspector will arrive at that exact time. The inspector will get as close as possible.
MOST PROJECTS REQUIRE A PERMIT, PLEASE CHECK WITH OUR DEPARTMENT PRIOR TO BEGININNG ANY WORK.
All payments may be made by check by mail or drop box; or by check, cash, or card in person. WE DO NOT ACCEPT ONLINE OR PHONE PAYMENTS.
Commercial & Residential Permits
The Commercial Permit Application (PDF) and Residential Permit Application (PDF) forms are available for download. The forms list documents required for review of the permit, although additional information may be required. The Building Department can be reached at 815-741-5106.
If you are a contractor you must be registered to work within our city limits. The Application for Contractor's Registration (PDF) is available for download. All required documents and instructions are listed on the form. We do not require a bond.
Roof Repair Policy
City of Crest Hill Ordinance 15.04.010 Conformance with National and State Codes states the city has adopted the 2015 International Building Code. This adopted code specifically addresses the roof issue as follows:
1. Patching roofs is not covered as it is not permitted.
2. Roof covering materials must be compatible to the roof to which they are applied. Roof must conform to all applicable standards. Materials shall be delivered in packages bearing the manufacturer's identification and approved testing agency labels.
3. Roof recovering with new materials shall not be permitted if the existing roof is water soaked, deteriorated, or does not have adequate base for recovering or the roof has two or more coverings.
4. Reinstallation of materials such as slate, clay, or cement tile is permitted. The materials shall be removed and all damaged or broken tiles shall be discarded. New tiles shall be integrated with old tiles so as to give the entire roof a uniform appearance.
5. Solid sheathing is required.
6. Underlayment shall be of an approved type. Ice and water shield shall be properly installed along all eave edges and in all valleys.
Property owners must register all rental units. The Rental Registration Form (PDF) is available for download. The completed form may be returned to us via email, mail, or drop off at City Hall. A link to email is on the top right.
Inspections are required when a tenant turns over. Inspections will only be done while the property is empty.
Illinois Smoke Detector Act
Beginning January 1, 2023 all smoke alarms installed within a single or multi-family home are required to have a 10-year sealed battery.
- Smoke alarms in single or multi-family homes prior to January 1, 2023 may remain in place until they exceed 10 years from their manufactured date, fail to respond to operability tests, or malfunction.
- Homes built after 1988 with hardwired smoke alarms.
- Homes with wireless integrated alarms that use low-power radio frequency communications, Wi-Fi, or other Wireless Local Area Networking capability.
- Zoning Map 2023
- 2018 Zoning Ordinance (PDF)
- IBC 2015 (PDF)
- Index of Permitted Special Uses - Non Residential (PDF)
- Index of Permitted Special Uses - Residential (PDF)
- Zoning District and Residential Standards (PDF)
- Zoning District and Nonresidential Standards (PDF)
- Crest Hill Standard Construction Details 111021 (PDF)
- Contractor Registration (PDF)
- Commercial Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Rental Registration Form (PDF)
- Portable Storage Unit Application (PDF)
- FOIA Request - Building(PDF)
- Plan Commission Application Packet (PDF)
- Ordinance 1915 Building Permit Fees (PDF)
- Update 15.04.010 National & State Codes (PDF)
- Facade Improvement Grant Program (PDF)