The Building Department of Crest Hill reviews building plans, issues permits and contractor registrations, and performs inspections to ensure that construction conforms to applicable codes. We also handle property code violations, rental inspections and new business inspections.
Plumbing inspections are available Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. All other inspections are available Monday through Friday. We will schedule a time if requested, but we cannot guarantee the inspector will arrive at that exact time. The inspector will get as close as possible.
Commercial & Residential Permits
The Commercial Permit Application (PDF) and Residential Permit Application (PDF) forms are available for download. The forms list documents required for review of the permit, although additional information may be required. The Building Department can be reached at 815-741-5106.
If you are a contractor you must be registered to work within our city limits. The Application for Contractor's Registration (PDF) is available for download. All required documents and instructions are listed on the form. We do not require a bond. Payment may be made by cash or check.
Property owners must register all rental units. The Rental Registration Form (PDF) is available for download. The completed form may be returned to us via email, mail, or drop off at City Hall. A link to email is on the right.
Inspections are required when a tenant turns over. Inspections will only be done while the property is empty.
Illinois Smoke Detector Act
Beginning January 1, 2023 all smoke alarms installed within a single or multi-family home are required to have a 10-year sealed battery.
- Smoke alarms in single or multi-family homes prior to January 1, 2023 may remain in place until they exceed 10 years from their manufactured date, fail to respond to operability tests, or malfunction.
- Homes built after 1988 with hardwired smoke alarms.
- Homes with wireless integrated alarms that use low-power radio frequency communications, Wi-Fi, or other Wireless Local Area Networking capability.
- 2018 Zoning Ordinance (PDF)
- 2022 Zoning Map (PDF)
- IBC 2015 (PDF)
- Index of Permitted Special Uses - Non Residential (PDF)
- Index of Permitted Special Uses - Residential (PDF)
- Zoning District and Residential Standards (PDF)
- Zoning District and Nonresidential Standards (PDF)
- Decks and Porches (PDF)
- Fences (PDF)
- Storage Sheds (PDF)
- Swimming Pools (PDF)
- Contractor Registration (PDF)
- Commercial Permit Application (PDF)
- Residential Permit Application (PDF)
- Rental Registration Form (PDF)
- Portable Storage Unit Application (PDF)
- FOIA Request - Building(PDF)
- Plan Commission Application Packet (PDF)
- Application for Development (PDF)
- Ordinance 1915 Building Permit Fees (PDF)
- Update 15.04.010 National & State Codes (PDF)
- Update to Contractor's Registration ordinance
- Facade Improvement Grant Program (PDF)